Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Creative Spaces

I’ve always wanted a serene writing environment with the ‘accoutrements’ of writing around me creating a space both physical and emotional but always inspiring. I work in a book-lined study at a large-ish desk. If I look up from my desk I see the garden and it’s a good place to let the eye rest and the mind wander. Often I collect things to do with the book in progress, so gum leaves whilst writing Thunderwith, pictures of The Hanging Gardens of Babylon whilst writing Zahara’s Rose, many, many poetry books whilst compiling The ABC Book of Australian Poetry. But other things like my crocodile pen, greeting cards, postcards, or photos end up scattered here for a while because they constitute something ‘sparky’ to me...It ‘s a changing place though, depending on the work in progress.




The bust of child- my muse a gift from my husband John when we were in Normandy
Notebooks- filled with anything and everything from scraps of novels to lists of chapter heads or title names, the odd poem.
Folders without labels that say something to me e.g. Indian cloth-bound folder always means the book I’m working on now.
The composers- two small bust of Verdi and Puccini whose music, along with Ella Fitzgerald’s is always inspirational
Teapot for the necessary 101 cups of tea whilst work is in progress
Flowers-whatever is in season
Latest book at pages stage I Love You Book with the fantastical illustrations of Heath McKenzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment