Sunday, August 25, 2013

Children's Book Week Visits

I spoke with Year 7, 8 and 9 at St Spyridon's, Maroubra early in the week about inspiration and a writer's life as well as the 'story' behind several of my stories. I mentioned my just finished ANZAC novel Eventual Poppy Day as my favourite of the moment, and encouraged students to write poetry as a creative effort leading to prose. A wonderful visit with enthusiastic staff and mature students.

Later in the week at Randwick Primary School, I spoke to a range of willing writers from Year 3 to Year 6; focusing on the ABC Book of Australian Poetry, and had actors transferring the sad Ballad of the Drover (Henry Kendall) into something of a comedy! Great actors.

Afterwards I talked to Year 1 in two groups about one of my first junior picture novels All About Anna. It goes down well as a drama and there was no shortage of willing actors there. A very happy morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment